Start date: May 15, 2021 or ASAP thereafter
Salary: Commensurate with experience and level of education (option for full or part-time, with benefits)
Duration: 1 year contract with possibility of renewal for up to 5 years
Location: Montreal, Canada
Deadline for application: May 5th, 5pm EDT
We are seeking a Program Coordinator for an NSERC-CREATE funded graduate training program, LEADS: Leadership in Environmental and Digital Innovation for Sustainability. This is a new bilingual (French-English) program that seeks to train graduate students at the interface of the fields of sustainability science and digital technologies, with the aim of mobilizing the transformative power of digital innovation towards the challenge of meeting the world’s climate and other sustainability goals. The LEADS program is based at Concordia University in Montreal, in partnership with Canada’s Future Earth Global Hub and the forthcoming Sustainability in the Digital Age (SDA) research center, and involves researchers from all four Montreal universities. More information about the LEADS program can be found here: https://create.futureearth.org, and about Sustainability in the Digital Age here: http://sustainabilitydigitalage.org.
The LEADS-CREATE Program Coordinator will be responsible for the daily management of the LEADS program, in consultation with the Program Director and other members of the LEADS network. Specific activities will include recruiting, orienting and managing students in the program, organising and advertising LEADS training events, coordinating with partner organizations to identify student internship opportunities, tracking the program budget and student participation in training activities, preparing progress reports for the granting agency, and ensuring compliance with both university and granting agency rules and regulations. In addition, the Program Coordinator will participate in the strategic planning and advancement of the LEADS program direction and development, in collaboration with the scientific leadership of the program and the Sustainability in the Digital Age team.
This is a dynamic position suited to a candidate who is self-motivated, organized and passionate about the potential to orient and mobilize scientific research towards solving global sustainability challenges. This position reports to the LEADS Program Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain communication with students, co-PIs and collaborators in both French and English: send updates and general news, get feedback on events, answer questions
- Student recruitment and orientation: work with universities in Montreal to identify potential students and welcome them to the program
- Manage student payments and participation: ensure students receive stipend payments, are matched to internships and attend required training events
- Help plan, organise and advertise workshops, seminars and other events: SDA Speaker Series, Leadership Training, Summer School and professional skills workshops for students in the program
- Keep NSERC reporting sheets up to date, track budget and prepare NSERC reports
- Organise Admissions and Governance committee meetings, including agendas, note-taking and follow-up
- Maintain program website and social media communications
- Opportunity to participate in research activities surrounding the program, as well as contribute to strategic planning and partnership building in support of program development and expansion
Qualifications & Desired Qualities
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline of sustainability science or related field
- Good understanding of global sustainability challenges
- 2-3 years of experience with project coordination
- Superior communication, organizational and interpersonal skills with ability to multitask
- Excellent writing and synthesis skills in English and French
- Strong familiarity with digital communication, networking and research tools
- Ability to be autonomous within a collaborative work environment
As the position is based in Montreal, applicants must be legally authorized to work in Quebec. The position will be part of Concordia University’s CARE union (Concordia Association of Research Employees).
Applicants to this position are requested to submit a curriculum vitae and a cover letter describing their interest in the position and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications – in one combined PDF file in English – should be sent via email with “LEADS Program Coordinator” in the subject line to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is May 5th, 5pm EDT.
About Concordia University and the LEADS program
Concordia is a next-generation university, continually reimagining the future of higher education. Located in the vibrant and multicultural city of Montreal, Concordia is the top-ranked university in North America founded within the last 50 years and annually registers some 51,000 students through its innovative approach to experiential learning and cross-functional research. The LEADS program is a new NSERC-CREATE graduate training program aimed at developing the skills, knowledge & experience in sustainability science and digital innovation that are needed to accelerate transformations to a more sustainable & equitable global society.
About Sustainability in the Digital Age and Future Earth
The Sustainability in the Digital Age (SDA) initiative aims to build an international network of collaborators and to leverage the transformative power of the digital age to steer society towards a more climate-safe, sustainable, and equitable world. Future Earth is an international platform for research, innovation, and collaboration working to accelerate transformations to global sustainability. The Montreal Global Hub forms part of the distributed secretariat with global hubs in Sweden, France, Japan, and the US.